Hello friends and radio listeners,
My time at 92. 9 ZZU has come to an end. Strong ratings are no match for Covid 19. All bets are off in 2020. (Please don’t comment with partisan politics here; there’s a 50% chance you’ll offend ME, which I’m sure is not your goal today).
That said, I returned home to Spokane, professionally at least, to sharpen my craft as an on-air talent, and pick up some new skills behind the scenes. This culminated with an afternoon show that I am very proud of, and which clearly entertained Spokane/Coeurd’Alene listeners. You couldn’t do this show 5 or 6 years ago, even. It would be a quick death in the ratings; too much chatter in the afternoon. But in an age of on-demand, streaming music, personality is the only way to win on radio.
You may find this strange, but my first thoughts when I found myself off-the-air this week, were of you, the listener. I was two days away from wrapping up a month of spooky stories from our region, and I felt like I broke a promise to you by not finishing out the month.
Our listeners are the best!
I leave on good terms with everyone at 92. 9 ZZU and I wish them the best going forward.
I don’t know where my next paid gig will be, but I won’t let that stop me from doing some kind of show for you. It’s what I do. I’ve been doing it since I was a child, in my parents basement, with a portable tape recorder. But you’re a much better audience than an empty basement.
So stay tuned for a new show, in some easily available format, very soon.
We’re all in this together.But also: F**K Covid 19!
Previously you could hear Dan Roberts weekday afternoons on 92.9zzu 3p-7p.
Along with clever games, station contests and Dan’s comedic take on pop-culture and topical events, you could expect:
- Good News at 3:40, 4:40, 5:40, 6:40pm (Stories that amaze, inspire or give hope)
- ZZU Laugh Tracks at 4:20pm (hear the best comedians on the planet, with bits hand-curated by Dan).
- The Tea at 5:20pm, 5:30pm, 5:40pm (up-to-the-minute entertainment news, rumors and gossip from the world of movies, tv, comics, games and sports. At 5:20, Dan brings the drama, at 5:40 it’s the good news).
- The Remix at Six at 6:00pm (fresh takes on modern hit music and old-skool favorites; remixes and mash-ups. Theme Days: Mash-Up Mondays, Throwback Thursdays and Flashback Fridays).
- The Friday Hang 3:00pm to 7:00pm (Dan is joined for all-of-the-above by comedians, musicians, actors and other interesting folks).
- Tales of the Unexplained… And Highly Unlikely at 3: 20pm, 6:20pm (This popular October feature highlights ghost stories, UFO sightings, and mythical creatures from the Inland Northwest and beyond)!